My Introduction to Crazy Quilting and Debbie's blog

I have been crazy quilting for about 7 years. I 'blame' it on my dear friend, Debbie, who showed me her first Crazy Quilt back then.

I had made a few sane quilts, and always became frustrated with the points having to match, (mine never did) and the perfection of having to sew a quarter inch seam. I don't remember which CQ she showed me (If you remember Debbie I would like to know and see pics too) but I do remember the fascination! It was so freeform, the perfectionism of piecing did not exist...I was free to use any fabics I wanted, free to use any embellishments I wanted including buttons, lace, charms. I thought to myself. "I REALLY CAN do this!' After sewing and embellishing a block , and when Debbie and I were finally able to visit together,( we live at opposite ends of the earth most of the time) I remember her oohing and ahhing over MY creations! MINE! How could this be? This was Lillian's work- a beginner's! But her oohing and ahhing was heartfelt and genuine! I will never forget it! Never mind that it didn't compare to her work. Never mind that it wasn't perfect! I really felt that she liked my stuff and what a boost that was to my creativity!

When I started doing CQ, I remember ALL of my embellishments (including thread) could fit into a shoebox! (That really is a hilarious thought!) I thought I had ARRIVED! I won't mention how much 'finery' I have now, but I will say that I am grateful for a husband who is very understanding. =) VBG!

So, saving the best for last, I will leave the link to Debbie's blog. I am so glad she taught me how to crazy quilt and is such an inspiration to me- in more then just her stitching.

http://needle-lil-more-time-2-sew.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment