Soft Hearted Soldiers


Sera and I spent some time together this Labor Day Weekend and she had asked me if I saw the picture of the U.S. Soldier holding a child in Iraq. I hadn't, and so she sent it to me. She and her friends were discussing how they were surprised that a soldier was holding a child, head down, and seemed to be weeping.

On the exterior, these men and women look like fighting machines. They know their job and do it well. With determination. But on the inside they are fathers, mothers, boyfriends, girlfriends. They are the boy who grew up next door that is now a man. The girl who played with dolls in her front yard. The woman who is trying to support her child and is now serving in Iraq or Afghanistan. They are young men and women with hopes and dreams. They are girls who dream of their special someone placing a ring on their finger and living happily ever after. They are men who have forsaken all and who will not see their first, second, or third child being born. On the inside they might look hard and calloused- but on the inside, they are just like you and I.

I urge you to pray for our troops. When you see someone on the street in uniform, thank them for their service. They have been ridiculed and scorned by the media- so take the time to share your appreciation with them.

They are defending our freedom- and for that I am thankful.

God Bless Them!

3 comments:

  1. That is very sweet for you to put this up on your blog. Very true, soliders are people who are loved and have loved ones. My father and my brother were both in Iraq for a year and now my friend Christina is there now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had so many acquaintances over there, and seen so many pictures of them with the children, the families, the men, the women. It doesn't surprise me at all to see this. They are more than just like us. They *are* us. Who among us would not be weeping to see this child?

    I read a soldier's blog every day. A couple of weeks ago we had a discussion of the war, from a Christian viewpoint - it was really interesting. Thank you for your comments, Lillian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God for our wonderful brave soldiers who lay down their lives for our country! God bless each and every one. And God bless you, my friend!! Jackie M.

    ReplyDelete