Valuable Lessons Learned in Embroidery

At the yahoo hand embroidery group (http://groups.yahoo.com/hand-embroidery/) we are talking about Valuable Lessons Learned in Embroidery. It is very interesting what everyone has to say about what they have learned/are learning about embroidery. I have compiled comments and tried to use names- please forgive me if I have erred-

Ripping- if the stitching is satisfactory, leave it in. (They will be overlooked in the whole composition of a crazy quilt) Don't take it out unless you really HATE it!

We are our worst critic! Elizabet shared how she was 'down' on her stitching and yet, her work was accepted by cqmagonline. Isn't it true? We are our worst critic!

Planning- Should I or shouldn't I? that is the big dilemna in Crazy Quilting.

Don't use iron on transfers on dark fabric or it will dull the fabric. (Linda)

Don't compare your work with others! Stitch because you love to stitch and it is something you must do out of creativity and neccesity. I don't think a stitcher can be truly happy with their work if they are comparing to others all of the time. I was in a lurch for a long time because I wasn't satisfied with my work. I think when I put those thoughts away and stitch to my hearts content, that I am a much happier stitcher! I enjoy it.

Use other pics for inspiration but do not be dissapointed with your work when it isn't exactly like it. You have your own expression and style.

If the stitching is the best you can do- leave it! (dd)

Comparing saps the joy- the reason for stitching- out of the whole creative process!

I think it's really important for you to be yourself and stitch what you enjoy, not just what everyone else it doing.

Stitch what inspires you- and not what inspires someone else

(From Barbara who is actually talking about Tole Painting- but it does apply) When I taught tole painting thestudent would often say "it doesn't look like yours" and I wouldalways reply, "that's because I didn't paint it", to me nothing isworse than walking into a shop and seeing a painting that looksexactly like the person whose method it is. I believe that my talentcomes from "interpreting" that pattern, method, stitch, whatever. Itreflects me, still using the basic premiss of method but "doing it myway" so to speak. At our ages, we don't want to dress exactly likeeveryone else, so why would we want our projects to be exactly likeothers. Make it yours and you might just be surprised at what happens.

I have a friend who teaches children. When they do a craft, she NEVER does a 'sample' or 'model' for the kids to copy. If she does, they want to copy it exactly as she made it. But if she said 'Today we aremaking.....' then their imagination has free reign and they are not bound by what their mind has limited them to see...

I welcome any thoughts you have on what you have learned also!

1 comment:

  1. i can certainly relate to the "comparing" deal....when i first started doing round robins i was stitching with very accomplished long time crazy quilters and stitcheres. people who were published and some who were teachers of embroidery. They did incredibly delicate work with all kinds of beautiful silks on these quite small seams...at that time i was thrilled to be working with number 3 and 5 perle cotton and had never ever used a button or a lace, or sillk thread....trust me, i agonized....but i learned a lot as well.... i did my best to learn how to do all that small delicate stuff and in so far as i actually did learn it(open to debate...gggg) i can now use it if i want to.I love stitching, but no longer do round robins because f find myself wanting to stitch things that the other folks want and will deem'acceptable" instead of stitching from my inner voice. Maybe one of these days i will know what it is really saying...but i won;t ever know untill i listen deeply.

    ktj

    ReplyDelete